Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Luthien Tinuviel


Luthien Tinuviel
blue pencil and white chalk on toned paper, 11" x 14"

"The leaves were long, the grass was green,
The hemlock-umbels tall and fair,
And in a glade a light was seen
Of stars in shadow shimmering.
Tinuviel was dancing there
To music and pipe unseen,
And light of stars was in her hair,
And in her raiment glimmering"

                                               J.R.R Tolkien

These are two studies for a painting I plan to do, hopefully sooner than later.  The watercolor sketch below is from few years ago, and the sketch above I did this past November. It's one of those back burner pieces that I mentioned in the last post, but it's not a commissioned piece. I have a number of projects like this, that I'll revisit from time to time, as new inspirations and ideas present themselves. I'm thinking the eventual painting could be one half of a diptych with a portrait of Beren as its companion piece.

Study for Luthien Tinuviel
watercolor , 8" x 17"

5 comments:

  1. That's fantastic, can't wait to see it finished!

    Bill Johnson alert!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the top sketch, so beautiful. Possibly the best interpretation I've seen of LĂșthien.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic lighting on her face. It really is the Light of Aman. She is a lovely interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This si so beautiful. One of the best I've seen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Matthew, wonderful painting! I was wondering, would it be ok for you if I used it in a video on youtube to a song about Luthien I have composed for my harp?

    ReplyDelete